Astronomers around the world continually study the intriguing mysteries of the universe to make new findings. A lot of research is done about the cosmos and several discoveries are made from time to time. The search to find the largest structure in the universe is ongoing. Several massive structures have been found as a result but none as magnanimous as the one found a couple of years back. They named it the BOSS Great Wall. BOSS is a cluster of hundreds of galaxies 1 billion light years across. It is said to be the largest structure identified in the universe until now. The discovery of this super cluster was made in early 2016. The name was inspired by the Baryon Oscillation Spectroscopic Survey which is a global attempt to map galaxies in the early universe.
Quick Facts about BOSS
Here is a look at some interesting facts about BOSS Great Wall
- BOSS is made of 830 different galaxies that have come together to form four super clusters. These are connected with each other with huge filaments of hot gases.
- Researchers claim that in addition to the 830 visible galaxies that form a part of this massive structure, there are many others that aren’t visible. Such galaxies are referred to as dark galaxies.
- The estimated mass of BOSS is nearly 10,000 times more than our Milky Way.
- It was termed the largest structure in the universe after its discovery in 2016. Prior to the discovery of BOSS, it was Sloan Great Wall which was considered the largest structure in the universe. BOSS is said to be two third times bigger than Sloan which held the title of the largest structure of the universe since 2003. BOSS is bigger in mass and volume.
- BOSS’s super clusters consist of high stellar mass galaxies that are denser compared to other chain structures.
- BOSS is approximately 1 billion light years in diameter
- The Malinowski functional were used by the researchers to verify the size and shape of BOSS.
- Even as BOSS has been termed the largest structure in the universe, there are many researchers who argue against it. This has been a topic of debate ever since the discovery of this magnanimous structure.
The Research Team of BOSS
The Baryon Oscillation Spectroscopic Survey (BOSS) was used to identify the BOSS Great Wall. Research teams from various institutes around the world came together and studies the cosmos at length to come up with this discovery. Some of the notable research team members that discovered this large cosmic structure include Elmo Temple, Marat Einstein, Claudia Mastodon, Aline Streblyanska and Heidi Lietzen among others.
Other Large Structures in Universe
Some of the other massive structures discovered in the universe include the Hercules-Corona Borealis Great Wall (discovered in 2014), Giant GRB Ring (discovered in 2015), Horologic Supercluster (discovered in 2005), Clowes-Campusano LQG (found in 1991), Huge -LQG (discovered in 2013), Pisces-Cetus Supercluster Complex (found in 1987), Perseus- Pegasus Filament (discovered in 1985) and U1.11 LQG (found in 2011).
The Universe is a vast mystery that the astronomers can only attempt at unraveling. It consists of numerous big and small structures – some clustered together while others positioned at a distance. It is bigger than one can imagine. The discoveries made until now have been mystifying and we can expect even more fascinating and interesting explorations in the times to come!